Thursday, January 14, 2010

What do I eat?

I pride myself on being quite knowledgeable about the animal/food/etc industries, so if a situation comes up where someone asks me something I can answer it truthfully (or at least know a place where they could find the answer). But there is one question I hadn't really pondered. I was getting my haircut today and the lady asks me, "I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude...but what DO you eat???"

I was like, "uhhhhh....................I eat everything?" Then I went on and said a few random foods like Asian foods, whole grains, cereal, fruits/veggies, stir fries, pasta dishes etc...but I had to THINK about what I specifically ate.

I didn't know how to answer at all, especially because I eat whatever I want...I don't feel limited by being vegan at all. I'm sure if you asked an omnivore what they ate they wouldn't be able to tell you specifics either. People think vegan food is strange and foreign and we only have 2 or 3 options (all of which must be nasty tasting).

I just thought it was funny. I wish I had something witty to say, but I was caught very off guard. My wittiness is always an afterthought and I always have these grand things planned to say, but in reality they never work.

No comments:

Post a Comment