Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Inner World of Farm Animals



As a vegan I am constantly reading about veganism. Usually it's on the negative effects of factory farming, animal products on your health, general horror stories, etc but the other day I decided I wanted to buy a happy book and that's where the Inner World of Farm Animals by Amy Hatkoff kicks in.

This book is so good and it's FILLED with super cute pictures of farm animals (which are surprisingly hard to find on the internet). I will admit I did tear up at a few of the stories like the one that talks about this cow that died. The farmers buried her and all her friend cows stood on her grave all somber and then left for two days to grieve. So sad! Those poor cows lost their best friend.

It was very refreshing to find a pro-vegan book that focused on the joyful reasons rather than the negative ones. It is my new "coffee table" book.

Oh! And another bonus is that when you take off the book jacket (which I usually do because I HATE them) there is another picture and the title on the actual cover. I was so surprised because normally hardcover books are just plain under the jacket (yes I know, that is a lame thing to get excited over...but I think it's a revelation).

I am not looking forward to the next 2 weeks. Four papers, volunteering, midterm studying for SIX midterms all before the Olympic break. Ugh.

I am going to eat breakfast now. I already had beet/pear/apple juice and now I am going to have toast with delish raspberry jam.

Did I mention my new life goal? Starting at the Olympic break (I gotta use up the crap left in my cupboards or I would start now!!) I am giving up 99% of refined sugars. The only thing I am going to eat with sugar is my own baked goods...but I am going to buy fancy organic cane sugar or something so it feels less unhealthy. I am trying to be healthier, so it's the obvious next step. I'm actually quite excited...mostly because my real addiction is to chips (I love you Jalapeno Kettle Chips), but sugar still wins me over quite a bit so I don't think it will be that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment