Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone. Jason and me are making cinnamon buns, marinara spinach lasagna and then we're gonna watch the Evil Dead series. Fun and yum.

And, because it starts with the letter "H" here is a hummus recipe. Best served with warmed up French Bread or pita bread. Or, to be healthier carrot sticks taste great dipped in hummus.



I think most hummus recipes are pretty standard, but here is mine, slightly adapted from the Veganomicon.

2 15oz cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1.5-2 tbsp's of Tahini (I don't like Tahini all that much, so I use only a little)
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 of the chickpea juice, leftover from the can
Tiny bit of cumin
Salt
Pepper
Paprika

I use one of those "immersion" blender things because it works better than a fork or my tiny food processor.

1. Place half the chickpeas and the olive oil into a big bowl. Keep pulsing, pausing to stir, until the chickpeas are almost creamy.
2. Add the rest of the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, and spices. Keep pulsing and stirring until it's entirely creamy. If it seems to thick add some of the 1/4 cup of chickpea reserve to thin it out a little.
3. Keep it in an airtight Tupperware container. This makes a tonne, so I usually make half batches unless I'm planning on eating a lot.

Make sure to refrigerate it for at least an hour so all the flavours combine. To serve, put it in a bowl or on a deep plate and drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle paprika over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment