Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Green Smoothies and Six Layer dip

Hello all,

So the latest greatest thing I have been indulging myself in is green smoothies. I have one every day (usually for breakfast) and they just give me so much energy. Not to mention it's a GREAT way to sneak greens into my diet, especially because I hate them.

(You will have to forgive picture quality until we find the real camera charger. I've just been using my cellphone)





My idea of a delicious and nutritious green smoothie (and yes I do drink that much smoothie lol):

- 2 or so handfuls of dark leafy greens such as kale, parsley, spinach, collard greens
- 1 banana
- 1 cup or so of frozen fruit. lately i've been using "Bite Size Blend" by Western Family brand, it has blackberries, blueberries, peaches and some other stuff but they are all cut up in tiny pieces so the blender doesn't have any trouble breaking them apart
- some orange juice
- plain soy milk (I always use So Nice. It's a Canadian brand, non-GMO and all organic beans)
- 2 tsp's of flaxseeds
- sometimes I use a protein powder if I feel I'm lacking such as Hemp-Force by Prairie Naturals or any other vegan brand
- Maca powder 5/7 days of the week


The next delicious thing I try and eat at least once a week because it's so addicting is my six layer dip. And yes, it's in a pie dish.



Put some refried beans in the bottom of the dish, then guacamole (recipe below), salsa and finally throw some diced tomatoes, green onions and olives on top for some pizazz.

My Guacamole:

I make the BEST guac, my sister is uber obsessed with it and demands it every time she comes over. It makes enough for 1 serving, so just double it accordingly. If you need to save some guac for later keep the avocado pit in with the guacamole and it won't go brown as quickly.

1 avocado
1/2 inch of an onion, diced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
Juice of half a lime
TINY amount of extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Pepper (lots, yum)
a bunch of cilantro, 1-3tbsp depending on my mood, finely chopped

Mash up your avocado then mix in everything else and enjoy.

Anyways, it's bedtime for me. I have another long day of midterm studying planned for tomorrow. Having 5 in one week really sucks.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment