So this is the first time I have ever made homemade soup and it was absolutely scrumptious. Jason even liked it, and he claims he "doesn't like" soup. Who doesn't like soup?
Michelle's Minestrone Soup
The picture makes it look bland and grey but it's nice and bright in person.
1 medium onion, diced
2 zucchini, chopped (quite big)
2 white potatoes, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 big can of diced tomatoes
8oz can of tomato sauce
1 can of garbanzo's
1 can of a white bean, I used white kidney beans
1 tbsp or so of dried basil
6 (i use Better than bouillon stuff) vegetable bouillon cubes with 6 cups of water OR just 6 cups of veggie broth
Salt and Pepper
Half a box(ish) of macaroni
1. Heat up the olive oil in a VERY LARGE POT over med-high heat. Then add the onion, zucchini and potato and saute it until the onion is translucent. Add the spices and the garlic and saute until the garlic starts to brown.
2. Add your 6 cups of water/veggie broth
3. Add the tomatos and the tomato sauce. Boil it it, then put to a simmer.
4. Add the beans, give it a good stir.
5. Cover and simmer for however long, if you are going to simmer it for less than 1 hour then blanch your potatoes for a bit or they won't cook through. (I simmered mine for 1 hour)
6. Cook your macaroni
Serve it with some homemade garlic bread. It makes a good six portions or so, and freezes well.
Michelle's Homemade Garlic Bread
1 whole wheat baguette
3-6 cloves of garlic (depends on my mood)
A small clump of parsley
A few tbsp's of Earth Balance vegan margarine, softened. (I just take a big eating spoon and scoop some out)
Salt and Pepper
1.Mince up your garlic, chop up the parsley.
2. Add the garlic and parsley to the EB and smash up. Add some salt and pepper.
3. Spread on the bread. Wrap in tin foil and cook for about 15 minutes at 375. If you like crunchy garlic bread, skip the tin foil.