Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Crockpot Stuffing



I didn't take a picture of the stuffing I made for Christmas, so I stole that one from the internet hahahaha. Anyways, this stuffing was absolutely delicious...next time I make it I might add a cup of diced apples too.

If you are wondering why I cook this stuffing in a crockpot and not on the stove or in a casserole dish, it's because the crock pot simulates the moistness that you get when you cook stuffing inside the turkey. I HATE dry stuffing, and this made the moistest (is that even a word?) stuffing I've ever had.

For the bread cubes, I just used a big loaf of white bread and cut it up and let it sit on a cookie sheet overnight. Then in the morning I just baked it at 300 degrees (stirring every so often) until all the bread was hard. If you have squishy/soft bread it will just turn to mush in the stuffing...I made that mistake the first time I made this.

Ingredients:

12 cups of bread cubes
2 cups diced onions
2 cups sliced celery
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup Earth Balance
2-3 cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper
2 tbsp's or so of "poultry" seasoning

To Make:

Melt the butter in a big frying pan, saute the onions and celery for about ten minutes over medium heat until they are soft (do NOT brown them).

In a crock pot mix together the bread crumbs, cranberries and seasoning. When the onion mixture is finished add it to the crockpot and stir everything together. Add about 2 cups of vegetable broth and mix it around until everything is moist.

Cook it on low for 4-5 hours. If it seems to be drying out you can add more broth but be extremely careful not to add too much or it turns to mush.

It's a pretty basic recipe which I just sort've made on a whim, but it turned out absolutely delish. I'm definitely going to make this more than once a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment