Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Banana Crumb Muffins



If these muffins don't make you want to die and go to heaven I don't know what else would. Seriously, these are the best. They are a great way to use up those bananas you forget about that go brown and too ripe and mushy to eat. Just throw those bananas in the freezer and when you have a few you can make these muffins. Bananas don't take long to thaw either.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
3 large or 4 small bananas, mashed
1/3 cup Earth Balance, melted. I'm sure you could use canola oil or something, but I like the flavour it brings so I use butter
1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water until it's gelatinous and gooey (egg like!)
1/2 tsp vanilla
cinnamon*
allspice

Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
cinnamon
nutmeg
canola oil

To Make:

Preheat the oven to 375 and get your muffin tins ready. This makes 12 muffins.

1. Mix together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice in a large bowl.
2. With a fork mash together your bananas, earth balance, white sugar, vanilla and flax seed mixture making sure to leave a few small chunks of banana for tastiness.
3. Add the banana mix to the flour mix and stir together until just moist and then pour into the muffin pan.
4. Mix together the ingredients for the topping. It takes 1-2 tbsp's of canola oil. You want it to JUST be moist and crumbly. When done sprinkle on top of the muffins.

Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out nice and clean.

* I never measure spices like this, so use your own judgment here. I find I add more cinnamon than most people (as in triple whatever a recipe calls for) because it's never strong enough. Go easy on the allspice though, it's a strong blend.

I can't decide if these taste best still warm from the oven or the next day. Something about day old banana bread is friggin' amazing. You could probably make this into a loaf and just baking it longer at a lower temperature. I like muffins better than loaves however, so I've never tried.

I MUST go check out karmavore for field roast sausages. I checked their website and they just had the celebration loaf. I should phone them, too bad I have a phobia of talking on the phone, gross.

I shall leave you with a picture of Charlie on the counter (where he is NOT supposed to be). They are testing the fire alarms today so they keep going off which makes for scared kitties so I'm letting him stay there, just for today. I must say, my counters look very clean and shiny in that picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment