Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Haluski

Haluski is (as far as I know) a Polish dish that's basically cabbage and noodles. Usually it contains onions and bacon or kielbasa sausage. It's super easy to make, and besides the excess of butter and oil it's quite healthy!!! It's also a good way to sneak cabbage into your diet, afterall, how often do you get a chance to eat cabbage?



Ingredients

- 1/2 cup or so of Earth Balance
- few tbsp's olive oil
- head of cabbage, sliced (don't use the core)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cups of noodles
- LOTS of salt and LOTS and LOTS of pepper

To make:

1. Cook the pasta
2. Melt the butter and olive oil together in a cast iron skillet. Add the onions and saute over med-high heat until browned, add the cabbage and saute for about 15 minutes until the cabbage is soft. Add tonnes of salt and pepper continuously throughout the cooking process.
3. Add the pasta into the cabbage and mix together for a few minutes. Serve.

I LOVE onions, don't they look so friggin' good?



All the cats are on edge today. Around 4am this morning Bella started meowing like a crazy cat and all the cats had their tails puffed and what not. I have no idea what happened, but they're all pissy today. Alma and Bella are enjoying the sunshine though! I think Charlie gets too hot with his black, long fur though so he avoids it. Look how happy they both look in the sun:




Actually, Bella looks grumpy haha. I think she is staring down Alma in that picture.

Today I am going to "spring clean" the bedroom and closet. I was going to do the living room tomorrow, but I have a field trip to Fraser Valley Institution for women (max security prison in Abby) for my women and the CJS course. It should be interesting. I guess I'll finish cleaning the house on Friday, fun!

I was going to make a Moroccan stew with couscous for dinner...but it's so nice and sunny out I might make something else. Hopefully my veggies are still good, I've been planning on making this stew for almost two weeks now!

I'm having a debate with myself about a worm compost bin. It seems kind of hypocritical to have worms, being a vegan and all, but I think the environmental aspects and the cheapness of not having to buy fertilizer or manure that's covered in god knows what is better. Plus, I'll treat my little worm friends with love and care. Afterall, I do pick up worms I see lost on the sidewalk and move them to a nice grassy spot...people always give me strange looks, but whatever, the worms deserve to be in their habitat, not lost on some concrete slab. I like worms, they're cute. I remember as a kid I would always try to find them to keep as pets haha.

Anyways, I am going to shower. My shoulders/upper arms are sooo sore from my workout earlier so it's going to suck to wash my hair haha.

See you! Enjoy the sunshine if you live in Vancouver!!! It's gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment